Monday, January 2, 2012

Evidence that the grandkids were here...

HA! You thought I wasn't going to make it, but I am now 2 for 2 :o)
We had to return the grankids today and we drove back to our home in OK. As I was walking through the living room, I had to laugh at this sight:
Look at those uneven baskets and books pushed back. My first thought was that little Hunter did it, but then I realized that Zachary may have pushed the books back to keep them from Hunter. This may not be something that matters to you, but it drives me crazy! What is funnier is that I have always given Geno a hard time about his OCD. We would all sit down to watch a movie together and 30 minutes later Geno was still playing with the set up to make sure it was perfect before we could start the movie. I hesitate to get another rug for the living room, because Geno would actually stop a movie and straighten the rug! The fewer things we have that need to be "just right" the better for Geno (and the rest of us)!
Growing up, I used to clean my room by putting everything in grocery bags in the closet. If I had just had rubbermaid tubs back then, I would have realized my future in organization!
So, before I could sit down and relax (after I had unpacked everything I took with me for the weekend and put away the suitcases, boxes, and bags)...
I had to straighten the books and baskets ;o)
One of my goals is to follow a declutter and organization plan for the year. I have gotten pretty good at getting rid of unwanted/unneeded/unloved stuff and helping it find a new owner, so I am looking forward to cutting down on "things" and focusing more on "the good stuff"
Let the decluttering/organizing begin :o)
Five things:
1. I am grateful for my grandchildren. I was so young when I had my boys, and I can certainly relate to some of the things they do. But I am older and wiser now and can see how important it is to cherish the time with them. Each one of them is SO. MUCH. FUN. They are so filled with love and curiosity and character (and just enough attitude to give their parents a taste of what they put us through!) I enjoy "my" time to get things done, and "our" time to grow as a couple, but I don't know that an hour goes by each day that we don't mention something about one of the little ones or the cute, new things they said when we saw them last.
2. I am SO grateful for Geno's job and how he provides for us. I have seen what can happen to a family when they lose jobs, homes, cars, and any means of supporting their families. Sometimes the situation comes from making bad decisions. Sometimes it starts off with "company cutbacks" and then the house is foreclosed on, the car is reposessed, there is no address to use for state assistance or to list on a job application. It is like a domino effect. It is a horrible thing to watch someone go through...especially when it involves children.
3. I am grateful for our home. I had always dreamed of growing up in the same hometown and staying close by family, but that isn't how life works out anymore. As we prepare for a career, we look around for opportunites, and these are not always right where we grew up. So, we have learned to look around for a place that feels like home for us and make the best of it. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful home with room for company to come stay with us. We aren't planning to buy this house, but it is one step closer to what we really are looking for. Oh, and it has a storm cellar! Can't be too safe in OKC.
4. I am so grateful for parents who have always been supportive of doing what you have to do to take care of your family...even when that means living 17 hours away! I have followed that same example with my kids. I love having them near me and being able to see the grandkids, but I believe that newlyweds should never live right by either sets of parents. It is important for them to learn to lean on each other and not use parents for sounding boards every time there is a small problem. Once they have solidified their relationship, moving close is ok. If you are a meddling parent or enabling parent, that just makes the process longer, so they may never move back! In the meantime, there are planes, trains, and automobiles to get you there ;o) Seriously, though, Geno and I have traveled so much and seen so many awesome things along the way, because we just took our time on the way to or from a class or visitation exchange. We would take a business loop and check out a smaller town. Life is always an adventure for us!!!
5. Today I have to say that I am grateful for Pinterest! You are thinking it, too! It is such a springboard of ideas to push me forward into my next little project. I have found so many great ideas. Now to just get them on the done list!

No comments: