Monday, February 20, 2012

Angels Among Us

While Zachary was visiting us, I had to take Geno to the emergency room with severe stomach pains. Zachary was SO good and VERY patient, but I figured he would have more fun playing with some friends. I don't know many people here yet, and I am very particular about who I trust with Zachary. It always worries me that they won't be able to understand him and he will get frustrated. My companion for visiting teaching just happens to be an amazing lady who was a teacher for 6 years before having her two boys-ages 3 and 1. She was so great to keep him for me for a few hours until they released Geno.
When I went to pick Zachary up, she came out of the kitchen with a bag of soup, a loaf of bread and frozen cookie dough balls. Okay, besides being exactly what we needed so we didn't have to cook that day...that is just pure GENIUS!!
Seriously! That is pure genius to me in SO MANY ways! Think about it...
I LOVE soup, but Geno is not as big a fan as me. Every time I make soup, I end up eating pretty much all of the leftovers and sometimes the last gets thrown out. Taco soup is one of my most favorite meals. Geno-not so much. So, I made it a couple of weeks ago, had dinner, scooped out 2 servings for me to eat during the week and bagged the rest into 3 quart-size freezer bags. Tip: Fill the bag and seal. Put the bag flat on a cookie sheet or in a flat container so it will freeze flat and you can just stack it for easier storage.
I can have my favorite meal without getting burned out, and it is already prepared for me to have the next month when the craving comes along.
I have no will power whatsoever right now. I eat my stress, and right now there is A LOT of stress in my life! I can mix up a batch of cookie dough and bake only 6 or 12. Then I scoop up the rest of the dough onto a cookie sheet and stick it in the freezer to freeze them individually. After they are frozen, put 12 (or how ever many you choose) into a quart-sized freezer bag with contents, date and cooking directions. I have even made a batch of chocolate chip cookies with nuts (for me) and without nuts (for Geno). Then when we were wanting cookies, I made 3 for him and 3 for me. Awesome portion control.
I now have an instant meal to take to a family who is in need. You can pull it out and thaw the soup in a bowl of warm water until you can get it out of the bag and then just nuke it. It feels good to know that I can provide a meal without stressing (because then I would eat my stress) and I have already done the work :o)
Who doesn't love warm cookies? I know this requires actually baking the cookies, but they are so much better fresh out of the oven! If you are taking the meal to someone who is not able to bake them, just pull it out and do it yourself right before you deliver the meal.
This sight makes me happy:
Okay, I haven't made any bread yet, but that is my goal for March...trying out new bread/roll recipes. I will let you know how that goes!

No comments: