Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I Believe...Honesty Really is the Best Policy

This is a very slippery slope when it comes to the law. I have been on the witness stand MANY times in all of my legal battles with my ex-husband. He would bet his life that I have lied (and he is constantly telling everyone who will listen!). However, I am happy to say that I have a clean conscience...and that isn't because I have no conscience! I have always been honest, because it is just too much work to try to keep all of the lies in order, and I just don't have time to worry about that sort of thing.


Now I will admit that there were times when he asked me questions that may have had a negative impact on me in court, but he had this really bad habit of rambling when asking questions. He would ask, "Did A happen, and B happen?" There were a few times when A did happen! However, he was always trying to paint me in this horrible light and would add B to the question. Since B didn't happen, I could HONESTLY answer the question NO. If both A and B happened, I would answer honestly, even if it might hurt me in court. I just believe that always being honest is the best policy.




Geno and I have had discussions about honesty lately. When the boys were little, we would tell them that they should tell the truth about things even if it meant getting into trouble, because if they lied and we found out, the punishment would be twice as bad! Geno was in a situation where he was told "You don't have to tell her" by someone. He later confided in me that he realized this person was someone who was not honest and most likely was being dishonest in other areas of life and he wanted nothing to do with this person.



Along these same lines, it is important to be honest with yourself! We need to sit back and take inventory every once in a while. There are those who react emotionally and those who react rationally. I am not saying that either one is right or wrong. I do feel, though, that in seeing things as they truly are, there comes a time when you have to take the emotion out of the equation and just look at the facts as they are. Sometimes, because we love someone, we do things based on emotion that rationally are not helping the ones we love. Sometimes we have to step back and allow them to make their own mistakes and just wait until they are ready to turn things around again. I don't believe that makes a person bad. It makes them realistic. I like realistic.

1 comment:

Emily Larkin said...

AMEN! I lied so much as a kid, teenager, and college student. It is only as an adult that I learned that lying is so hard. Not only is it hard but it makes you feel horrible and affects all areas of your life. My father was an undercover narcotics cop for 10 years in Minnesota. He loved doing good, and keeping the city safe, but he found that he had to lie so much that it was starting to affect his whole life. His life depended upon his ability to lie well and after awile it just took too much of a toll on his conscience. Leaving the force did not have the best impact upon his career but he doesn't regret it and feels that he made the better choice for his soul.